Inverter is an electronic device to convert DC voltage to AC voltage. The simplest and most common design of inverter is H-bridge two-level inverter. However, the output of two-level inverter has high Total Harmonic Distortion (THD). Therefore, multilevel inverter is introduced. A multilevel inverter is a power electronic device which is capable of providing desired alternating voltage level at the output using multiple lower level DC voltages as an input. With such configuration, the output of THD can be reduced.
Recently, engineering students of Segi College Penang had conducted a research on THD reduction of multilevel inverter. Selective Harmonic Elimination Pulse Width Modulation is applied to reduce the third and fifth harmonics of the inverter output voltage. Transcendental equations describing the fundamental and harmonics are solved by using Newton-Raphson method. Their work was published in International Journal of Advanced Research in Engineering Innovation. Below is the link of the published journal:
Student learning experience
- Perform research and lab activity on THD reduction of multilevel inverter.
- Writing paper for journal publication
- Team work among supervisor and students for research and paper publication
Impact to School
- Promote new learning experience in conducting work / research on a topic as additional part of the syllabus traditional classroom
- Enhance the skills in performing work, report writing to convey the message to the readers / audiences.
- Encourage students to explore new ideas or information besides existing notes for the syllabus.
To read the full research journal, >>CLICK HERE<<
An interesting read up awaits you 😉